About District

Shivamogga, as per traditional derivations, the name pertains to Lord Shiva ( ‘Shiva – Mukha’ – Face of shiva , ‘Shivana – Mogu’ – Nose of shiva, ‘Shivana – Mogge’ – Buds of flowers meant for shiva ). According to the legend, the place had the ashram of the famous sage ‘Durvasa’ who was noted for his sharpness of temper. He used to keep on the oven a pot boiling with sweet herbs. Once, some cowherds, who chanced upon it, tasted the beverage out of curiosity and called the place ‘Sihi- Moge’ (Sweet Pot) , Which was later called as ‘SHIVAMOGGA’ .

Flashback : Remains found in the district disclose that man was reisdent in the area in those early times. In 1881, two early stone-age tools were discovered in a ‘Shingle bed’ at Nyamati, at a short distance from the Tungabhadra river. They were bifacial pebble tools made of quartzite, one with a rounded working edge and the other with a pointed working edge. Some Neolithic sites were noticed and uncovered at,Guddemaradi on the bank of Tunga river near Shivamogga city,Nilaskal near Nagar in Hosanagar taluk,Kunda hill near Agumbe in Thirthahalli taluk,Yeddegudde near Thirthahalli, Ashoka nagar, Anaveri and Nagasamudra in Bhadravati taluk

Three iron age megalithic sites, with different megaliths, have also been found in the district, at Nilaskal in Hosanagar taluk and Shivamogga, which have menhirs, and at Arehalli in Thirthahalli taluk, which has portholed burial chambers.