Shivamogga is considered to be an advanced District in so far as education is concerned. It ranks sixth in the State with 74.86% literacy. It is just preceded by Dakshina Kannada, Bangalore, Udupi, Uttarakannada and Kodagu. There are 25.14% illiterates in the District. But still there is a disparity of 15.08% between male and female literacy rate,18% disparity between rural and urban literacy rates.
District has 2291 Primary Schools, 393 High Schools, 108 Pre-University Colleges, 38 First Grade Colleges, 13 Polytechnic, 2 Technical Education Colleges (Engineering Colleges), 1 Dental College, 12 B.Ed. Colleges, 28 Teachers Training Institutes, 1 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, 16 Morarji Desai Residential Schools, 1 B.Pharma Training Institute, 1 Agriculture College, 1 Law College and Post-Graduation Centre. All these institutions are functioning for the academic progress of the district.
The administration of Primary and Secondary education falls within the purview of Zilla Panchayat. The supervision and administration control of all Primary and High Schools in the District is done by Block Education Officer at the Taluka level. The Deputy Director of Public Instruction co-ordinates and supervises the work of Block Education Officers. During the year 2008-09 there were 1,05,484 Boys and 1,00,374 Girls studying in different classes of Primary Schools. In the Secondary section (High Schools) 40,705 Boys and 40,742 Girls are studying in different classes.
SCHEMES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To Promote regular attendance and to zero the dropout rate of children in classes 1 to 10, Mid-day Meals programme is introduced in Government and Aided Schools in the District.
- Under Vidya Vikasa Yojane scheme Free Text Books are provided to all the students of 1 to 10th Standard of Government Schools and 1 to 8th Standard Students of Aided Schools. Under the same scheme Free Uniforms are provided to all the students of 1 to 10th Standard of Government Schools. All SC and ST Students studying in Government Schools from Class 1 to 5th Standard are being given free School Bags and 1 to 10th Standard are being given free Note books. All SC and ST students and all other Girl Students studying in 8th to 10th Standard are exempted from paying Non Governmental fee and SSLC Examination fee.
- Free Bicycles are provided to all the students of 8th Standard studying in Govenrment and Aided Schools.
- Under various schemes like Sarva Shikshana Abhiyana, NABARD, State Sector Programmes, Rajiv Gandhi Drinking Water Mission, 12th Finance Commission Grants etc.
- Furniture & Equipments are being provided to Schools.
- Construction of New Class Rooms are being taken up.
- Repairs, Providing Additional Rooms to School Buildings are done.
- Water Supply and Sanitation facilities are provided.
The Objective is to provide all basic amenities to all Schools in phased manner.
For details Contact :
Deputy Director of Public Instruction (D.D.P.I)
Shimoga 577 201