The NRDMS Centre for Shivamogga district was established during the month of June 1995 at Office of the Deputy Commissioner, Shivamogga with financial support from Deprtment of Science and Technology, Govt. of India , Implemented by K.S.C.S.T, Bangalore with active support from Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt of Karnataka. The main objective of the centre is to create the digital database on Natural resources, Demography, Agro & Socio economy and infrastructure facilities of the District to provide analysed information to the district administrators, Zilla panchayath, line departments, Academic institutions and NGOs in Natural resources management and rural development planning with the help of GIS and other advanced scientific technologies. As per the G.O. of Govt. of Karnataka, the centre was shifted to Zilla panchayath premises and been functioning at office of the Zilla panchayath, Shivamogga since June 2002.
Need of NRDMS
- Large Diversity of Spatial Data
- Many types of data are used for more than one purpose by more and more one user.
- Utility of data set may be greatly enhanced by merging or liking it with other data sets.
- Reliability/ consistency can be enhanced by correlating different parameters.
- Many organizations are involved in data collection and updating.
- Need for standardization/ compatibility of procedures of data collection and adaptation.
- Need to improve the utilization of data for decision making.